Memories are the best part of family holidays, they are priceless. You get to make memories and share them with family and friends. I was about seven when I went to the snow for the first time.

We drove all day to get to Mount Buller, a resort village in Victoria. Our room was on the top floor and had a fantastic view, which was really awesome because later that night there was fireworks display (boom! pow!) The bright, colourful explosions of light in the dark night sky reminded me of New Year’s Eve.

The next day, we hired a toboggan from the ski shop. Riding down the bunny hill was fast and so much fun. My brothers went snowboarding, and they fell a lot which was quite funny. Mum went skiing, and my sister and I made snow angels and snow monsters with my Dad. Have you ever tried walking through fresh powder? It is incredibly hard to move in fluffy, white snow.

We had scrumptious breakfasts and delicious hot chocolates that warmed us up on freezing days. Riding the chairlift up the mountain wasn’t too scary because Mum and Dad were there. The sun shining through the ice looked like a chandelier made of glass, it was beautiful.

I remember wrestling with big woolly jackets, gloves and boots. This hardly ever happens in Adelaide. We don’t need many layers because it’s usually hot; shorts and a t-shirt and thongs are normally enough.

The best part of the holiday was spending time with my family and seeing the fireworks. When it was over, my sister fell asleep on the long car ride home.

You can’t buy memories, you can only make them.

-Grace

1 thought on “You Can’t Buy Memories

1. Hi Grace,

I live in Niagara Falls, Canada so we are used to the cold, snowy weather, and even when you have lived in it your whole life it is still difficult moving through the fluffy, white snow. We are heading into winter now so we know that the snow is coming soon.

I loved your story and your message that memories are the best part of family holidays. My wife and I take our boys to Walt Disney World in the summer and I agree that the memories are the best part. Seeing the looks on my boys faces when they get off a favourite ride is priceless. Looking through pictures and reliving the moments that made the trip special are some of my favourite things to do.

Great job writing, keep it up.

Steve